This feature first appeared in the Fourth Quarter 2012 Issue of Lincoln County Magazine. ?Subscribe today!
By Lark Harrington
Fall time makes me want to make warm bread, hot soup, and of course casseroles!
This is a very flavorful, filling dish! If your children aren?t too fond of onions or the green chilis, you can omit them. However, I think they are what make this casserole amazing.
1 1/2 pound lean hamburger
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1 (4 ounce) can diced green
1 cup sour cream
1(10.5 ounce) can cream of
8 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded Mexican blend
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Brown the hamburger with onion and seasoning. Drain off any excess grease.
- Stir in the chilis, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup.
- Simmer over low heat for five minutes. Take the tortillas, and line the bottom of the pan with four. I like to tear mine into pieces. However, you can overlap them if you wish to keep them whole. (You do NOT have to cook the tortillas in oil!)
- Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas then top with half of the cheese.
- Repeat another layer using up the remaining ingredients.
- Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm along with some refried beans and salsa.
*This is also a very freezer friendly meal.
A great family meal for sure!
Lark Harrington is a wife and mother and founder of ?Lark?s Country Heart?. Many around Lincoln County have purchased her crafts and have come to look forward to her homemade baked goods and candy.
Her website is found at www.LarksCountryHeart.com.
What are you creating? ?Whether it is writing, painting, music, culinary, or other types of work, submit your creations to contact [at] lccentral.com.