Kristina Lloyd
Lincoln sophomore Hagen Boyce on the tackle against Needles.

The Lincoln County High football team lost its first game of the season last Thursday when they were defeated by Needles, 36-28. As a result, the Lynx fell to second place in the final regular season standings and will be the No. 2 seed in the playoffs that begin this weekend.

Lincoln will host No. 3 Lake Mead tonight at 7 p.m., with the winner playing the winner of the Needles and Calvary Chapel game next Saturday. The Lynx beat Lake Mead 57-0 in their only meeting this season on Oct. 5.

“I am very excited for the upcoming game. If we limit our mistakes and build off of theirs, we will win,” Lincoln County coach Raymond Wadsworth said.

In the loss to Needles, senior Noah Smith led the offense with 154 yards. Senior Kamdon Lewis had 145 yards and junior Mason Thornock had 93.

The defense was led by senior Alex Vincent, Lewis, and senior Kobe Walker, all with four tackles.

Wadsworth was happy with how they played; he just feels that they need to work on making less mistakes.

The team came out strong in the first quarter as Smith got the first touchdown for the Lynx. The defense worked hard and the Mustangs were forced to punt the ball, giving the Lynx possession. The ball went back and forth between the two teams until Smith ran it and gained yards for the Lynx, putting them in a scoring position.

Senior Kamdon Lewis was handed the ball on the next play and got a touchdown. The Mustangs gained yards, but Lewis got an interception, giving the Lynx the ball at the end of the first.

At the start of the second quarter, junior Mason Thornock got a touchdown, putting the Lynx even further ahead. Needles got their first touchdown after receiving the kickoff and running it all the way in.

Recovering the ball, the Mustangs got their second touchdown.

Keeping with their plan to run the ball, the Lynx gained a couple yards but ended up turning it over. However, the Lynx still played good defense and prevented the Mustangs from getting a touchdown, thus ending the second quarter.

In the third quarter, the Mustangs scored another touchdown. On kick return, Lewis got the ball and ran it all the way in for a touchdown. The defense came out strong and were able to hold the Mustangs back for a little. Then Needles came back and got another touchdown.

At the start of the fourth quarter, both teams worked hard and played good defense. As the clock ran down, Needles was able to push through and get a touchdown pass in the last two minutes of the game, pulling them ahead and ending the game.