On Saturday, Nov. 10, the Caliente VFW hosted the annual Freedom Festival that included a patriotic bike parade on Dixon Street. There were games and crafts led by Luanna Larsen. Hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken were on the barbecue, managed by Indiana Adams. Raffle tickets were also sold.
The bike parade judges were mayor Victor Jones, sheriff Kerry Lee, and PA-C Bart Anderson.
- Pre-k to second grade winners
- First prize – Brynn Lawrence
- Second prize – Tess Petersen
- Third prize – Rylan Barnes.
- Third to sixth grade winners
- First prize – Caleb Dirks
- Second prize – Bentley Barnes
- Third prize – Dani Petersen.
- All children got a participation ribbon.
On Sunday, Nov. 11, Jack Horner, Service Officer for Post 7114 in Caliente, conducted the VFW’s annual ceremony. Every year they have a celebration at a certain grave site. This year, they honored Dana R. Conaway WWI, 90 Spruce Squad, and Lee J. Conaway, Aviation Cadet, USNR, who was killed on his last training flight in Texas.
The VFW also recognized a brand-new veteran, Sara Butler, who just completed Army boot camp.
Horner read the poem “What is a Veteran.”
At the closing of the ceremony, the playing of taps echoed in the chilly wind.